Friday, February 10, 2012

chess table

 Here's a little look at a quick and easy chess table that I painted for our boys.


The metal pedestal base was a very fortunate find on the roadside in our neighborhood.  I spotted it one morning on an early run and sent my husband back with the truck before the sun was even up.  It was a 70's avocado green color with a  round wooden top attached.  The wood had gotten wet from days (weeks?) of rain and had swollen up to a mass of old grossness.

So, I took out a few screws and threw the stinky thing back to the curb (my own, not the neighbors'), and spray painted the stand black.  Next, I bought a ready-made pine circle at Lowe's (about $10) to paint for the top.   The entire top got a coat of primer and a couple coats of bright white semi-gloss from the garage.  Then, I measured and taped off the squares and painted those with a black acrylic I had on hand.  I roughed it up a bit with a hand sanding block and applied a pack of vinyl letters and numbers I had picked up at Joann for a couple of bucks (since I don't have a totally rockin' vinyl cutter).  Finally a couple coats of latex polyurethane sealed it all up.


We already had a chess set on hand for the pieces, but I didn't like the color (a light and dark wood shade).  So I left those with the portable board and ordered a black & white set from Amazon.  I think they were around $5 total.  That's about $20 for the whole table, and now this is one of my boys' favorite seats in the house!


{Linking up with some of my favorite parties}

9 comments:

{oc cottage} said...

Get out of here! That is just fabulous!

m ^..^

Laura from Top This Top That said...

Outstanding! one of my fav tables is checkboard from PB that I got years ago. I bet your family loves this!
PS- you need to get a silhouette.

DM said...

Where is my "love" button? I don't even play chess, but this makes me want a table like this of my own.Great job!

Andi said...

It's such a cute table and a fun thing to have for years to come! I can't believe you made the whole thing! So creative!

Our Delightful Home said...

Amazzing job! I would love for you stop by and link up at my linky party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Delightful
Ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

Samantha said...

Wow! I bet your boys are happy. Thanks for linking up to "Cowgirl Up!". Hope you'll be back next week too.
:) Samantha @ Crafty Texas Girls

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Oh, I just love this! So very awesome ...

:)

Linda
itallstartedwithpaint@gmail.com

Justine said...

Stopping by from the Saturday Seven Party! http://queenofsavings.com

Emily @ 52 Mantels said...

What a fun project!! I love it :)

Thanks so much for linking up last Thursday! I'm coming back tomorrow for your mantel party!!!